Symmetrical Air Friction Enclosures

TQWT, transmission line, isobaric, PR, etc.

Symmetrical Air Friction Enclosures

Postby niftynev » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:55 am

Hi everyone, my first post!

Radio Electronics (I think it was) in the 80's described, as a project, an S.A.F.E speaker enclosure. Later on they described another similar project entitled - "hifi mini speaker". Most of my magazines got drowned in the floods so I don't have the info any more. I was hoping someone may have a copy of this? I want to build a pair.

The concept was to extract more bass from a small woofer. The woofer was vertically mounted on the bottom of the front of the enclosure, & it's back wave was broken up & reassembled on its way up, where it emerged from the top, having been slowed down by its serpentine path. A similar principle to TL's I guess, but taking up much less space. Imagine a kitchen table sitting over a rectangular hole, that was just small enough so that the table legs could sit outside the corners of the hole. Inside the speaker there were 4 of these 'tables', so that the back wave was split up then recombined 4 times before exiting the top via an opening all around. The beauty of it was that the 'mini speaker' version of it was only 17 inches high, from memory, & packed a real bass 'punch' for its size. The tweeter was basically plonked on top & secured so it wouldn't fall off! Of course, I'd secure it properly & use a nice little ribbon tweeter from Jaycar Electronics -

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CT2023

I've done a hand drawing to try to explain the idea - sorry it's pretty rough!

Hopefully, one of you guys out there may have an original article!

cheers nn
Attachments
S.A.F.E. enclosure.jpg
S.A.F.E. principle
S.A.F.E. enclosure.jpg (204.89 KiB) Viewed 6510 times
niftynev

Return to Unconventional enclosures